Our Green Detroit Michigan Hotel supports a continuously growing commitment to our environment through a series of green efforts:
We support a comprehensive and growing recycling effort.
- Paper, cardboard, plastic, glass and aluminum are recycled as part of Single Stream Recycling in all public areas. Our administrative areas currently recycle paper and cardboard with guest room implementation to begin in October 2009.
- Recycling of used print cartridges
- Recycling program for light bulb ballasts, light bulbs and batteries is in place
- Used kitchen grease recycled into bio-fuels biweekly by a local company
- Pallets are picked up for reuse
Our energy consumption and efficiency program has a formal engineering preventative maintenance program that includes performance criteria to measure operation efficiency.
- Establishing minimum standards for use, maintenance and management of equipment ensures efficiency and reduction of energy
- Energy efficient CFL lighting in guest rooms and in hotel's public spaces
- Lighting, computers, and equipment in all areas are turned off when not in use
- Replace equipment with high energy star efficient models to include the following areas:
- Office equipment
- HVAC equipment
- Kitchen equipment
- Pest control company held to use of IPM integrated products which are environmentally friendly
- Local plants and trees are utilized for outdoor landscaping tolerant of climate with watering control times
We have created an innovative way to engage our guests in making green choices during their stay.
- Bed linens changed upon guest request to aid in water and energy conservation efforts
- Towels replaced upon guest request allowing the guests the option of re-using existing towels
- Low flow and restricted flow showerheads and faucets are available in all guestrooms as well as autoflush toilets and urinals and motion-sensor faucets in all public restrooms
We are committing to continuously reducing waste through our daily operations and purchasing activities.
- Our hotel uses recycled containers for all amenities in the smallest practical containers.
- Remaining banquet food, from function space, is donated to employee cafeteria
- Paper products are minimum 30% Post Consumer Content
- We have set copiers to double sided print as default
- We purchase in bulk when applicable and avoid single use products
- The hotel minimizes disposable foodservice items and works with vendors for recycled product replacements
- Reusable coffee mugs are available in all guest rooms
- All guest registration on arrival is paperless
- Use of environmentally friendly cleaning products meet EPA GS 37 Industrial Cleaner guidelines for housekeeping and stewarding departments
- Use local vendors for product supply
- Mandatory reports are reduced to as needed; old reports are reused and recycled
- Computer monitors programmed to turn off after period of inactivity
We place a priority on ensuring our events and meetings raise to our level of green standards across the board.
- Kitchen energy reduction program to reduce pre-heat timing / equipment usage
- Organic foods are an option if guest desires in Banquets & Room Service
- Vegetarian options are available in the hotel for meetings and restaurants
- Local food products are offered
- Buffets are the most environmentally friendly option and can be served family style
- Paperless sales and inventory software system
- Energy efficient LED lighting fixtures available for events
For more information about our green initiatives, please contact The Westin Book Cadillac Detroit at 313-442-1600.